Going Back to Work
These days more and more moms return to work after their new child is born. If you're one of them you'll probably find that, as the time approaches, you have lots of questions about leaving your child and coping with the extra demands of a career.
When You Go Back to Work
This page sets out to answer these questions, and to give you a few tips about dealing with the conflicting emotions you may be feeling.
To help your return to work go as smoothly as possible, here are a few points to consider:
- Work & Motherhood Balance: It's a good idea to have the right balance between being a career woman and a wonderful mother. See Home & Work for some helpful tips.
- Type of child care: For example, if you want a day-care centre to look after your child, you may have to book months in advance. You'll need to check the centre's opening/closing hours before you commit to one, as these need to be compatible with your working hours. See topic Child Care for more information.
Dealing with work
- Your maternity leave starts from your delivery date
- You can return to work no earlier than two weeks after the birth
- If you work for private sector your maternity leave should be a minimum of 60 days and 90 days if you work for Federal government and certain states in Malaysia
When to tell your boss
- There is no legal provision in the Employment Act 1955 that you should tell your employee that you are pregnant but your employment contract may require you to inform them. Talk to your HR department if you are unsure.
- You may find it better to tell them as soon as possible, so they know you have a good reason to attend medical appointments (you're entitled to paid time off for antenatal appointments and parent craft classes)
- Your spouse may be entitled to paid paternity leave (check with your spouse's employer)
Was this article helpful for you?
This article was helpful for 0 moms.
Thank you for your opinion.
Find out how Wyeth Nutrition products are able to provide your child with the right nutrition, as well as our specially formulated supplement for pregnant and lactating mothers.Check our Products